History of the Eighth Judicial Circuit
In 1845, the Florida Legislature created the Eastern (Judicial) Circuit, comprising "All that part of the State of Florida lying to the east of the Suwannee River and north of the Southern Circuit." The Eastern Circuit included Alachua, Columbia, Duval, Levy, Marion, Nassau, Orange and St. Johns counties.
In 1858, New River (now Bradford) County was added to the Eastern Circuit.
In 1859, Alachua, Columbia, Nassau, New River (now Bradford), Levy and Suwannee were transferred from the Eastern Circuit to the Suwanee Circuit.
In 1861, Baker County was created from New River (now Bradford) County, and added to the Suwanee Circuit.
In 1868, Baker and Bradford Counties were made part of the Fourth Circuit. Alachua and Levy Counties were transferred to the Fifth Circuit.
In 1903, the Eighth Judicial Circuit was formed with Alachua, Levy and Putnam (from the Fifth Circuit) Counties, together with Baker and Bradford (from the Fourth Circuit) Counties.
In 1921, Union County was created from Bradford and made part of the Eighth Judicial Circuit. Flagler County was also incorporated into the Circuit at this time.
In 1925, Gilchrist County was created from Alachua County and incorporated into the Eighth Judicial Circuit.
In 1927, Baker, Bradford and Union Counties were transferred to the Twenty-Sixth Circuit and Flagler and Putnam Counties were transferred to the Twenty-Fifth Circuit. The Eighth Judicial Circuit included only Alachua, Gilchrist, and Levy Counties at this time.
In 1935, the Florida Legislature created the current structure of the Eighth Judicial Circuit, comprising Alachua, Baker, Bradford, Gilchrist, Levy and Union Counties.
From 1935 to present, much has changed for the Eighth Judicial Circuit, yet geographically, the Circuit remains the same.