About the John H. Murphree Law Library
The John A.H. Murphree Law Library strives to provide convenient and effective access to legal information to the public, including members of the judiciary, officers of the court, and county officials. The Library strives to enhance the community by expanding their knowledge of the law and to facilitate access to the justice system.
We endeavor to meet this goal by providing complete access to an organized and relevant collection. We seek to meet all user's needs in a timely and efficient manner. We value the diverse opinions of our users and treat all our patrons with dignity and respect.
The John A.H. Murphree Law Library was established in 1957 by a special act of the Florida Legislature (Chap. 57-1118). It was housed in Room 413 of the Alachua County Family and Civil Justice Center until September, 2011, when it was moved to the Downtown Branch of the Alachua County Library District. The Library moved back to Room 413 of the Alachua County Family and Civil Justice Center in March of 2016. The Library was renamed to the John A.H. Murphree Law Library in 1979 in honor of the former Circuit Judge who was instrumental in its establishment. He served on its Board of Trustees for many years.
The Library receives the vast majority of its funding from Alachua County. Revenue is also derived from criminal conviction fines, charges for photocopies, printing and fax services, and the sale of Family Law packets.