Judge James P. Nilon
The Code of Judicial Conduct governing behavior by judges forbids the judges of the Eighth Judicial Circuit to discuss pending cases with the public. Please do not call the Court expecting to speak with a Judge about any case. If you have a comment to make, please mail it to the Clerk’s Office in the appropriate county. Please keep in mind that the Court is only allowed to consider arguments made in court and documents filed by actual parties to the case. They cannot ethically read or consider any other opinions or arguments about the case, and they cannot give legal advice. Thank you.
- Current Assignment
- Statewide Committees
- Previous Assignments
- Judicial Assistant
- Divisional Instructions
Chief Judge, January 2019 – Present
Alachua: Juvenile Dependency
Alachua: Family Division UFC
Criminal Court Steering Committee
Administrative Judge – Family Court
Circuit Judge, November 2005 – Present
County Court Judge, 2000 – 2005
Alachua County Family and Civil Justice Center
201 East University Avenue, Room 409
Gainesville, FL 32601
(352) 384-3081 (phone), (352) 381-0176 (fax)
Alachua Family Divisions DR1, Dependency, and UFC: Proposed Orders
- Effective April 1, 2013, PROPOSED ORDERS for the Alachua County Civil and Family divisions will no longer be accepted via e-filing by the Alachua Clerk of Court. Motions should continue to be e-filed with the Clerk’s Office.
- Proposed orders should be submitted to the Court (in Microsoft Word format) by e-mail to: email@example.com, or by mail. A courtesy copy of the motion, and a cover letter (if any), should accompany the proposed order.
- All orders shall have a 2″ x 3.5″ blank space on the first page of the order in the upper right-hand corner. An example of an order with this space requirement can be found here.
- All orders shall include a certificate of service at the bottom of the order. Please indicate the name of the party who is to receive the order, as well as that party’s e-mail/e-service address OR mailing address, if a hard copy is required.
- If there are any parties to the case requiring service by US mail, attorneys shall submit pre-addressed, postage paid envelopes to Judge Nilon’s office along with copies of the order for conforming. Please make a note of the case number on the envelope.
- Please note that emergency hearings will be set by the Court without being coordinated with counsel and/or parties.
Masters of Business Administration: Indiana University, 1984
Juris Doctor: University of Florida College of Law, 1972
Bachelor of Science: Business Administration, University of Florida, 1970