About

The Eighth Judicial Circuit is administered by the Chief Judge. The Chief Judge is responsible to the Chief Justice of the Florida Supreme Court for the administration and supervision of the courts, judges, and officers of the courts within the circuit. The Chief Judge is responsible for developing and implementing a plan for the efficient operation of the courts, providing for prompt disposition of cases, assignment of judges and staff, control of dockets, regulation and use of courtrooms, and review of the status of inmates detained in local jails.

The Eighth Judicial Circuit is one of twenty trial court circuits in the State of Florida. The Circuit included the counties of Alachua, Baker, Bradford, Gilchrist, Levy and Union, and spans from the Gulf Coast to the Georgia border. The Eighth Circuit has thirteen circuit judges and ten county court judges. They are assisted by general magistrates and hearing officers in the adjudication and disposition of cases. More information on the structure of Florida’s court system can be found here.

Circuit Court geographical map including Baker, Bradford, Levy, Gilchrist, Union and Alachua Counties

History


1845

Florida Legislature created the Eastern (Judicial) Circuit, comprising “All that part of the State of Florida lying to the east of the Suwannee River and north of the Southern Circuit.” The Eastern Circuit included Alachua, Columbia, Duval, Levy, Marion, Nassau, Orange and St. Johns counties.

1858

New River (now Bradford) County was added to the Eastern Circuit.

1859

Alachua, Columbia, Nassau, New River (now Bradford), Levy and Suwannee were transferred from the Eastern Circuit to the Suwanee Circuit.

1861

Baker County was created from New River (now Bradford) County, and added to the Suwanee Circuit.

1868

Baker and Bradford Counties were made part of the Fourth Circuit. Alachua and Levy Counties were transferred to the Fifth Circuit.

1903

Eighth Judicial Circuit was formed with Alachua, Levy and Putnam (from the Fifth Circuit) Counties, together with Baker and Bradford (from the Fourth Circuit) Counties.

1921

Union County was created from Bradford and made part of the Eighth Judicial Circuit. Flagler County was also incorporated into the Circuit at this time.

1925

Gilchrist County was created from Alachua County and incorporated into the Eighth Judicial Circuit.

1927

Baker, Bradford and Union Counties were transferred to the Twenty-Sixth Circuit and Flagler and Putnam Counties were transferred to the Twenty-Fifth Circuit. The Eighth Judicial Circuit included only Alachua, Gilchrist, and Levy Counties at this time.

1935

Florida Legislature created the current structure of the Eighth Judicial Circuit, comprising Alachua, Baker, Bradford, Gilchrist, Levy and Union Counties.

1935 to present

Much has changed for the Eighth Judicial Circuit, yet geographically, the Circuit remains the same.

Alachua County


Criminal Justice Center
220 S. Main Street
Gainesville, FL 32601-6538

Family & Civil Justice Center
201 E. University Ave
Gainesville, FL 32601-3456

Baker County


Baker County Courthouse
339 East Macclenny Ave
Macclenny, FL 32063-2294

Bradford County


Bradford County Courthouse
945 North Temple Ave
Starke, Florida 32091-2110

Gilchrist County


Gilchrist County Courthouse
112 South Main Street
Trenton, FL 32693-3200

Levy County


Levy County Courthouse
355 South Court Street
Bronson, FL 32621-6520

Union County


Union County Courthouse
55 West Main Street
Lake Butler, Florida 32054-1600

Contact Info